[Xquartz-dev] pbproxy - a copy/paste proxy for XQuartz

Derek Fawcus dfawcus at cisco.com
Mon Sep 22 18:02:58 PDT 2008

Nice I assume,  certainly further ahead than my code which is still
at the level of a bunch of CLI query tools for investigating.

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 12:23:09PM -0700, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
> and I intend to
> integrate pbproxy's code into a thread on the X11 server itself.

I'd rather you didn't - or if you do,  allow it to be disabled.

This way the behaviour is easily changeable.

Also it allows for better bug isolation if something goes wrong,
which it might if the code starts to do complex data manipulation.

I've been investigating some of this,  and found some interesting
oddities in data presented by various X apps. In OOo swriter the
target text/richtext isn't - it actually provides rtf.  Also one
of the targets gives the file contents - so it might be possible
to provide drag'n'drop from X->Quartz,  DnD in the other direction
may be a bit more difficult.

I've not run these binaries (they crash as I'm using Tiger),  but
from strings I managed to see all the atoms being used.

An easy one to add is text/html,  where OOo swriter offers this.

One interesting possibility is using the Pasteboard translation
services, at least the header files and samples in PasteboardPeeker
make it look interesting.  (I'd intended to support compound_text
via an external translator).

DF