[Xquartz-dev] Environment passed to Applications-launched processes

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Freenet.DE
Fri Sep 26 14:50:07 PDT 2008

Am 26.09.2008 um 16:01 schrieb Jeremy Huddleston:

> And to make matters more interesting, variables set in your .bashrc
> will probably appear when you auto-launch, but not when you launch
> from the utilities directory.

I'd prefer to have ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist working. It's quite
easy to define a necessary (personal default) set of environment
variables. These can be used (and potentially modified) in shell RC
files by using the defaults command, which allows to read from the
file. A change in ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist then shows up in the
next shell created.

To me ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist is like the primal meter bar at the
Bureau International des Poids et Mesures in Sèvres, France. It's a
single point of failure, and it's the single file that I need to edit
for a change. Shell RC files are a secondary problem.

--
Greetings

   Pete

There are three types of people in this world: those who can count,
and those who cannot.