[Xquartz-dev] 1.5.3_apple5

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Tue Apr 7 14:57:43 PDT 2009

On Apr 7, 2009, at 04:14, robert delius royar wrote:

> Is there a different way I can load my modmap without using the
> sleep workaround (and preferably withou running the command from an
> elisp program) that will assure I get my preferred mappings for all
> programs that start when the server first comes up?

For now, there isn't really a good workaround.  That race condition
exists, and there's no real way to do it other than letting the other
guy win the race for now.  Once 2.3.3 ships and I start focusing on
the 1.5.x server, this is one of the few known regressions that needs
to be addressed, but it will certainly be addressed before 2.4.0 ships.

> I know you have a new way of loading multiple files from a directory
> of scripts (similar to inetd).  Would that be a way to handle this
> instead of the start script?  If so, where should I look for
> instructions?

Unfortunately, I didn't put any instructions in the xinit man page
(sorry).  There is an example here (http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/wiki/X11-UsersFAQ#Example
:AdedicatedserverforTheGimp:) that talks about it, but nothing more
than that.

For your use, you can do something like:

mkdir ~/.xinitrc.d
cat > ~/.xinitrc.d/50-xmodmap.sh <<EOF
sh -c "sleep 15; xmodmap ${HOME}/.Xmodmap"
EOF
chmod 755 ~/.xinitrc.d/50-xmodmap.sh