[Xquartz-dev] Check for X11 Updates option sometimes greyed out

Jordan K. Hubbard jkh at apple.com
Tue Aug 18 14:47:38 PDT 2009

Better get used to that (and stop using those high-cost networks!
Read a nice book instead if you're somewhere that remote!  :-)

This is by far the preferred user experience for 99% of the population
since background downloads are unobtrusive and can then be easily
applied on next launch, rather than the usual modal dialog which locks
you out of the application while it's being updated (people HATE
those).  Sure, you could put up another dialog asking if you want to
download it, but then you'd have TWO dialogs: Do you want to download
it?  Do you want to apply the update?   Just about everyone would hate
*that* too...

The world is heading in the direction of ubiquitous networking.  That
is why the iPhone has a "disable data roaming" switch - we realize
that there are parts of the world where data rates are simply too
high, in which case using the network *at all* becomes an opt-in
exercise.  If I didn't have a book to read, I'd leave my network off
entirely except for those brief periods when I wanted to use it since
it's silly to expect all the apps to know the cost of a downloaded
byte and hold off from using it even though it's up and available.

- Jordan