[Xquartz-dev] Check for X11 Updates option sometimes greyed out

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Tue Aug 18 17:07:25 PDT 2009

On Aug 18, 2009, at 14:47, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> Better get used to that (and stop using those high-cost networks!
> Read a nice book instead if you're somewhere that remote!  :-)
>
> This is by far the preferred user experience for 99% of the
> population since background downloads are unobtrusive and can then
> be easily applied on next launch, rather than the usual modal dialog
> which locks you out of the application while it's being updated
> (people HATE those).  Sure, you could put up another dialog asking
> if you want to download it, but then you'd have TWO dialogs: Do you
> want to download it?  Do you want to apply the update?
>   Just about everyone would hate *that* too...

As a side note, there is a checkbox in the update dialog that says "Do
not automatically download updates" or similar... so there is an
option for that... and I'm sure it corresponds to some defaults option
that can be set if you're concerned.

That being said, this update functionality is really just Sparkle
dumped into X11.app with a bit of extra voodoo since we're not a pure
Cocoa application.  If you're really concerned with this behavior
model, I suggest you raise the point with the Sparkle developers
(they're on launchpad.net), and we'll inherit their changes when they
release it.

Maybe there can be some global NSDefaults option like
"myInternetIsUberExpensive" ... but I'm staying above that abstraction
layer.