[Xquartz-dev] Check for X11 Updates option sometimes greyed out

Harald Hanche-Olsen hanche at math.ntnu.no
Mon Aug 24 09:48:37 PDT 2009

+ Ben Haga <bhaga at apple.com>:

> Sorry to dig up a semi-old thread... Will X11 automatically update and
> install (if relevant feature is enabled) to the latest available X11
> release, even if that makes it very difficult or impossible to
> downgrade to the previous version?

I don't see why downgrading should be difficult or impossible. Just go
to http://static.macosforge.org/xquartz/downloads/ and pick the
earlier version you want and install it on top of the newer version.

The only problem I can imagine is if the newer version contains a file
which is not in the earlier version. You would have to remove such
files by hand, if they are causing trouble. And I think the only
locations where the existence of a file could cause trouble are these:

; find /usr/X11/ -type d -name '*.d'
/usr/X11//lib/X11/fontconfig/conf.d
/usr/X11//lib/X11/xinit/privileged_startx.d
/usr/X11//lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d

If you're paranoid, just nuke those before installing.

> I ask this question as the environment in which I work relies upon
> testing each version before "blessing" it for production use.  If we
> have a problem, we may need to revert to a previous version.

In such an environment, I think I would turn off the automatic upgrade
feature.

- Harald