[Xquartz-dev] Check for X11 Updates option sometimes greyed out

Ben Haga bhaga at apple.com
Mon Aug 24 10:57:40 PDT 2009

Harald,

On Aug 24, 2009, at 9:48 AM, Harald Hanche-Olsen wrote:

> + Ben Haga <bhaga at apple.com>:
>
>> Sorry to dig up a semi-old thread... Will X11 automatically update
>> and
>> install (if relevant feature is enabled) to the latest available X11
>> release, even if that makes it very difficult or impossible to
>> downgrade to the previous version?
>
> I don't see why downgrading should be difficult or impossible. Just go
> to http://static.macosforge.org/xquartz/downloads/ and pick the
> earlier version you want and install it on top of the newer version.
With some prior releases, it was not as easy as simply installing an
older package.  I am not going to assume it works that way unless I
find that after it is released.  The group that will be performing
these updates are not admins and do not actively track X11 issues with
their applications.

> The only problem I can imagine is if the newer version contains a file
> which is not in the earlier version. You would have to remove such
> files by hand, if they are causing trouble. And I think the only
> locations where the existence of a file could cause trouble are these:
>
> ; find /usr/X11/ -type d -name '*.d'
> /usr/X11//lib/X11/fontconfig/conf.d
> /usr/X11//lib/X11/xinit/privileged_startx.d
> /usr/X11//lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d
>
> If you're paranoid, just nuke those before installing.
This is the problem I was looking to avoid.  I could write a script to
distribute to those in affected groups, but I would prefer not to
subvert a better way should it exist.

>> I ask this question as the environment in which I work relies upon
>> testing each version before "blessing" it for production use.  If we
>> have a problem, we may need to revert to a previous version.
>
> In such an environment, I think I would turn off the automatic upgrade
> feature.
Aye, yet it will prompt people to do this once they upgrade.  I expect
a small group of people may enable this without knowing the
ramifications of doing so.

Thanks for the response.