[Xquartz-dev] High CPU load on Mac OS X 10.4

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Mon Feb 16 12:43:07 PST 2009

On Feb 16, 2009, at 12:12, Simon Ruderich wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 03:37:47PM -0800, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
>> I'm not sure what the problem is.  Can you please explain what
>> problem
>> you are seeing?  You should have the exact same copy/paste behavior
>> as
>> with the Apple-provided X11.app...
>
> Sorry, I just found the option I need to enable: "Emulate three
> mouse button". The problem was, that in the past I could press
> alt and click the mouse to insert text from clipboard into an
> xterm for example. Apparently this option was disabled and so
> alt-click had no effect. After enabling it, everything works
> fine.
>
> Just one question, what does the pasteboard option in
> Preferences, which I disabled because of the CPU issue, provide
> for new features, if everything works like in the past?

It enables a much-improved pasteboard interaction between OSX and X11
including support for images.

Tiger the old version of quartz-wm which handles the pasteboard
interaction.  This old version and can't be told to disable the
pasteboard proxying support.  Thus when you enable support for the new
code in the server, the two come into conflict with eachother.  On
Leopard, quartz-wm knows that it should not do the pasteboard proxying
when it sees a sufficiently new version of the server running.

I'll see if I can put together a Tiger build of the new quartz-wm for
you.