[Xquartz-dev] 2.4.0_beta1

Jack Howarth howarth at bromo.med.uc.edu
Tue Feb 24 06:33:03 PST 2009

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 03:51:29AM -0700, George Peter Staplin wrote:
> Quoted Jack Howarth <howarth at bromo.med.uc.edu>:
>
>> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 10:52:52AM -0800, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
>>> Hi everyone.  I'm proud to announce that 2.4.0_beta1 of XQuartz is
>>> ready.
> [snip]
>>> * sometimes X may stop responding to your mouse
>>>   * George has seen this, but I haven't.  If someone can help with
>>> reproducibility, I'd be grateful
>

>> Jeremy,
>>    I am having problems with the 1.4.0-beta1 release on a MacBook Pro
>> with Radeon X1650 graphics running Mac OS X 10.5.6. If I startup
>> pymol from the pymol-py25 fink package, the program starts up
>> properly but I don't seem able to change the focus on its windows
>> by clicking on them. In particular, when pymol finishes starting up,
>> the tk gui window on top is the current focus so I can select the
>> Demos from the Wizard menu. However if I try to click on one of the
>> Demo menu items in the lower Pymol viewer window, the Finder  doesn't change
>> focus onto that window. If at that point, I click on the Terminal window
>> from which I started pymol, the Terminal window comes to the front and gains
>> focus in the Finder. However at this point, clicking on either of the
>> pymol windows in the background doesn't select them or bring them to
>> the foreground.
>>                    Jack
>
> This sounds exactly like the issue I see with multiple apps.  Jeremy for
> some reason hasn't been able to duplicate it.  I thought it might have
> something to do with the libraries I was running, because he couldn't
> duplicate it.  I'm a little baffled why it occurs on some systems and not
> others.
>
> The 1.4 and 1.5 branches worked much better with regard to input, but it
> seems a lot of code changed in xorg-server-1.6-apple related to input,
> and now it must be fixed.
>
> For a while the xorg-server-1.6-apple branch couldn't even display
> windows, due to a bug that was added during some internal API changes by
> another X.org developer.  We fixed that, but clearly more work is needed
> elsewhere.  The new rootless bug with cmd-opt-a being one example.
>
> The X.org GLX X server code was redesigned with regard to
> initialization, and the method for setting the visuals and fbconfigs,
> since 1.4, so some of the work that went into XQuartz 2.3.* wasn't
> usable with xorg-server-1.6-apple.
>
> It's frustrating at times, however I think that we can work these
> problems out, especially with the help of those of you in the community
> that test, and providing feedback and analysis.
>

> George
> --
> http://people.freedesktop.org/~gstaplin/

George,
   You should be able to reproduce the pymol problems with the obsolete free
x11 version of pymol (in case you don't have fink installed)  that can be downloaded from...

http://delsci.com/rel/099/pymol-0_99rc6-bin-macosx-x86-x11.tgz

Just execute...

tar -zxvf pymol-0_99rc6-bin-macosx-x86-x11.tgz
cd pymol
./setup.sh
./pymol

                   Jack