[Xquartz-dev] Clipboard problem

Enrique Terrazas Enrique.Terrazas at ucsf.edu
Mon Jan 5 08:53:04 PST 2009

On Jan 4, 2009, at 12:42 PM, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:

> On Jan 4, 2009, at 10:26, Enrique Terrazas wrote:

>>> And what version of X11 do you have?
>>
>> XQuartz 2.3.3 (xorg-server 1.4.2-apple31) ... just upgraded to the
>> latest.  No, alt-click doesn't work either.  The strange thing is
>> that Parallels Desktop exhibits similar behavior.  I've quit
>> X11.app, and restarted an xterm window, and now I can copy xterm -
>> >  OSX, but not OSX -> xterm, and not xterm -> xterm.  I noticed
>> this starting within Parallels about the time I got my new macbook
>> pro and using the migration assistant to set it up.  I'm wondering
>> if that somehow affected the system-wide clipboard?  Another thing
>> I noticed is that the perl module "Mac::Pasteboard" also stopped
>> working for me around the same time.
>
> Can you try creating a new user account and logging in as that
> user.  Then just startup X11.app and TextEdit.app.  Open an xterm in
> X11 and see if you can copy paste between the two.  If that works,
> try firing up parallels on that new user and test again.

Interesting thought ... I logged in (fast user switching) as another
existing user, and got the same results.  I created another user,
logged in, and same results.  I can copy xterm -> TextEdit, but not
TextEdit -> xterm, and not xterm -> xterm.  Even though the Edit menu
doesn't change to include a "Paste" menu item when copying something
in xterm, trying to paste something (command-v) copied from TextEdit
results in an a "ö" character with the new user (didn't see that with
my regular login).

A puzzle ...

Enrique Terrazas