[Xquartz-dev] Clipboard problem

robert delius royar x11 at frinabulax.org
Tue Jan 6 10:24:32 PST 2009

Mon, 5 Jan 2009 (21:30 +0100 UTC) Martin Costabel wrote:

> Enrique Terrazas wrote:
> []

> Do you have "Emulate three button mouse" activated in the X11 Preferences?
> Without this, you won't be able to paste into xterm.
>
>>  Interesting thought ... I logged in (fast user switching) as another
>>  existing user, and got the same results.  I created another user, logged
>>  in, and same results.  I can copy xterm -> TextEdit, but not TextEdit ->
>>  xterm, and not xterm -> xterm.  Even though the Edit menu doesn't change
>>  to include a "Paste" menu item when copying something in xterm, trying to
>>  paste something (command-v) copied from TextEdit results in an a "ö"
>>  character with the new user (didn't see that with my regular login).
>
> cmd-v won't work in xterm (and never has, AFAIK). Also, there is no "paste"
> item in the Edit menu. You *must* use middle-click to paste into xterm. I
> don't think there is a keyboard method to do it.
in ~/.Xresources (or perhaps ~/XTerm instead) the following accomplish
this goal, at least for me:
Mod1 <KeyPress> C     : select-cursor-start() select-cursor-end(PRIMARY,CLIPBOARD) \n\
Mod1 <KeyPress> V     : insert-selection(PRIMARY,CLIPBOARD) \n\
Meta <KeyPress> C     : select-cursor-start() select-cursor-end(PRIMARY,CUT_BUFFER0) \n\
Meta <KeyPress> V     : insert-selection(PRIMARY,CUT_BUFFER0)

In ~/.xmodmap I also have
keycode  63 = Meta_L
keycode  71 = Meta_R
keycode  69 = Mode_switch
clear Mod1
clear Mod2
clear Mod3
add Mod1    =  Alt_L
add Mod2    =  Meta_L Meta_R
add Mod3    =  Mode_switch

That lets the right Cmd modifier do what it would normally
do and the left operate differently--useful in XEmacs.  On an old
PowerBook the distinction between Left and Right was not possible
(IIRC).  I do not know if the current MacBook distinguishes between
Left/Right Shift/Control/Alt/Cmd

--
Dr. Robert Delius Royar                   Associate Professor of English
Morehead State University                             Morehead, Kentucky