[Xquartz-dev] libXdamage, compatibility version 3.0.0

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Wed Jan 7 14:03:41 PST 2009

On Jan 7, 2009, at 13:02, Simone Karin Lehmann wrote:

> Am 07.01.2009 um 20:32 schrieb Jeremy Huddleston:
>
> [...]
>
> Wow. Thank you for that very detailed and really helpful answer.
> This cleared up many things to me. Thanks.
>
>> Furthermore, X11 in Macports is getting some updates right now.  I
>> just introduced the system_x11 variant and will soon be moving all
>> the ports to depend on port:xorg-libXXXX rather than
>> lib:libXXXX:xorg-libXXXX.  If you want to continue linking against
>> the system X11, you should set the system_x11 variant globally.  If
>> you want to be extra careful and don't care about bloating your
>> Gimp.app, you can first install the xorg-libs port and have
>> your .app bundle the libs it needs.
>>

> and thanks for this hint. Just one more question? If I build
> GIMP.app on a Tiger machine and do not set system_x11, which X
> server will be used and how do launch it? As on Tiger or as on
> Leopard? (Ok, ok, two questions...)

system_x11 just controls the libraries that are linked against.  It
has nothing to do with the server.  The user can use the Apple
provided X11.app server or build their own from Macports if they like.

If you do not set system_x11 and build on Tiger, then you'll have the
"latest and greatest" X11 libs in your bundle and it will work on both
Tiger and Leopard.

As far as the server launching, I think Gimp.app itself has some logic
that "just works"