[Xquartz-dev] Copy/Paste ceasing

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Thu Jan 22 10:07:48 PST 2009

On Jan 22, 2009, at 05:11, Peter Collinson wrote:

> This is generally between and xterm and another Mac app. I have a
> Logitech MX mouse so at have at least three buttons.
> I do have Enable Key Equivalents set - never bothered to train my
> body to use the Meta key:-)
>
> Here's what I do:
>
> To copy
> Cx)	In X11 - point with left button, hold down button and sweep
> contents

Ok, then do you have the last option in the pasteboard preferences
enabled? "Update Pasteboard immediately when text is selected"

If not, enable it.  Note the text underneath that option.  Because of
how X11 copy/paste is designed, we can't guarantee that will always
work.  Thew only way to guarantee it copying is to use cmd-c.

> 99.9% of the time - this just works.
> What occasionally happens is that I do Cx - and then attempt Pm -
> but get the old buffer contents.

Yeah, look in the mailing list logs for discussion as to why this is
happening and why there's nothing we can do about it without severely
changing how the copy/paste proxying works... hence the note/warning
underneath the preference.

> If I redo Cx - and redo the Pm - but the buffer doesn't change. As I
> said I am generally in the middle of something, so don't stop
> and poke about to find out what else isn't happening. It's quicker
> often to kill and restart X11 get the contents
> I need again and pick them up.

Chances are if you selected text in another X11 app, then selected the
text in the original app, it would work for you.  The problem boils
down to us not knowing when the same app selects new text.

> I suppose it would be helpful to find out if Px works at this point.

It will.