[Xquartz-dev] Sparkle

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at freedesktop.org
Mon Jul 20 18:28:49 PDT 2009

Jack Howarth wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 09:08:22AM -0700, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
>
>> So, there was a parse error in the xml file for sparkle, so the
>> 2.4.0_beta5 update probably never appeared.  I fixed the parse error
>> ("<title" instead of "<title>" ><) and you should all see the popup
>> sometime in the next day or so (I think Sparkle rechecks every 24
>> hours).
>>
>> The automatic update has one issue that I don't like... while doing the
>> install, you can not use X11.  I opened a question to the Sparkle devs
>> about this on Launchpad if anyone wants to join in the discussion (or
>> knows the answer):
>>
>> https://answers.launchpad.net/sparkle/+question/77572
>>
>> --Jeremy
>>

> Jeremy,
>    The beta5 upgrade with Sparkle is working fine here. Have you
> considered extending the Xorg Sparkle code to allow it to be automatically
> triggered in the case where a system Software Update has replaced
> X11 files from the current Xquartz release with those from an older
> release? This would be a very useful feature since many users
> may forget to reinstall Xorg after the system Software Updates
> are installed.
>             Jack

The problem is that the SU-installed X11 will not have Sparkle in it, so
there's no way to really trigger that.  X11.bin is linked against the
Sparkle framework, and if that gets replaced by a SU... well... then
there would be a new binary in place that won't run sparkle...

This problem should be moot in 10.6.  The current .pkgs won't work with
SnowLeopard.  After I ship the 2.4.0 update for Leopard (thanks for
testing, btw), I'm going to focus on building a 2.4.0 update for
SnowLeopard as well.  It will install in /opt/X11, /A/U/XQuartz.app, and
/Library/Launch* (to take precedence over /S/L/Launch*).

Comments? Suggestions? Thoughts?