[Xquartz-dev] Lastest X11 is slow in video output?

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Sat Jul 25 15:40:41 PDT 2009

Platon Fomichev wrote:
> Hi everybody
>
> Just want to ask Jeremy about some of my concerns linked to the bug
> http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/ticket/261#comment:8.
> In the bug there is a comment:
>
> If your issue is that it is only at 7fps, then that is another issue
> entirely... and it's most likely a fallout from rlAccel being removed.
> That is something that will hopefully be addressed in a new EXA driver for
> 2D performance gains.
>
> Does it basically mean that graphics sensitive utilities like Gimp will
> significantly suffer from rlAccel removal? I rely on Gimp for my work
> and if it will be 3-4 times slower it's like a major disaster.
>
> Thanks in advance.

rlAccel was disabled around 2.1.x and hasn't been on since.  It actually
isn't a big concern.  The fastpaths that it enabled are nice, but the
pixman fastpaths are similar in nature, so I don't think we're suffering
a big hit.  Sure, it would be nicer to offload some of that from the CPU
to the GPU, but it's not that critical.  This is the first case where it
has actually come up.  I did some testing and actually re-enabled
rlAccel and reran the xscreensaver, and it was only 9fps (as opposed to
7).  So it is a slight improvement, but the bottleneck is certainly
elsewhere.

You said the last time this worked fast for you was on Tiger... a LOT
has changed since Tiger, so this will be non-trivial to track down
unless you can give more data points.

Thanks,
Jeremy