[Xquartz-dev] Main kumppa's CPU eater (XScreenSaver being slow)

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Sun Jul 26 13:20:46 PDT 2009

On Jul 26, 2009, at 12:26, Platon Fomichev wrote:

> Hi Everybody
>
> Jeremy, thanks for answer I will profile the hack on Leopard with
> latest X11 to see the bottleneck.
> Meanwhile I can right away name the main X11 API that's drives this
> hack - it's XCopyArea - previously
> it was specifically accelerated. The source and destination are the
> same window, that's why theoretically
> this hack should be very fast - we take pixels from window and copy
> them in the same window.
>
> P.S.
>
> XCopyArea emulation (window->window) is the major bottleneck for
> pure OS X port as well btw because there is no low level API in OS X
> that can do such blits.

Those blits are exposed via libXplugin and are used in rlAccel.  This
XCopyArea issue was the main reason I suspected that rlAccel being
removed was the primary culprit.  But when I re-enabled rlAccel, I
only got a ~30% performance boost (from 7 to 9 fps).  Granted 30% is a
big gain, but seeing those numbers so low makes me think there is a
bigger bottleneck somewhere else.