[Xquartz-dev] 2.4.0-beta2

Simone Karin Lehmann simone at lisanet.de
Thu Jun 11 15:57:09 PDT 2009

oopps, this "feature" may give sou some trouble.

If an app launches a splash screen which closes before the main window
is opened... the XServer shuts down and now the app can't connect to
the XServer.

I just got a bug report about this issue from a user, who couldn't
launch GIMP any longer since he had enabled auto-shutdown. Disabling
auto-shutdown solved it.

The same issue should occur if you log into a remote computer using
'ssh -X' and start any xclient. After you quit the xclient,and if this
was the last X window, XQuartz quits too, leaving the ssh connetion in
an unusable state.

Yeah, this is really some sort of "auto-shutdown".
No matter what you want to do, it will shut down your app and the
XServer automatically. ;-) (SCNR)

So I vote to drop this auto-shutdown switch to avoid users getting
into trouble.

skl

http://gimp.lisanet.de