[Xquartz-dev] auto-quit (was Re: 2.4.0-beta2)

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Thu Jun 11 17:02:54 PDT 2009

On Jun 11, 2009, at 15:57, Simone Karin Lehmann wrote:

> I just got a bug report about this issue from a user, who couldn't
> launch GIMP any longer since he had enabled auto-shutdown. Disabling
> auto-shutdown solved it.

Yeah, that would be the effect... perhaps I can add a timer for
this... so if it's still at 0 after a few seconds...

> The same issue should occur if you log into a remote computer using
> 'ssh -X' and start any xclient. After you quit the xclient,and if
> this was the last X window, XQuartz quits too, leaving the ssh
> connetion in an unusable state.

Really?  Why would ssh be in an unusable state?  I agree that the X
client that did an XOpenDisplay may be in an unusable state, but ssh
and new clients should be fine.

> Yeah, this is really some sort of "auto-shutdown".

Yeah, that's the idea.

> No matter what you want to do, it will shut down your app and the
> XServer automatically. ;-) (SCNR)

Yep, that's the intention.

> So I vote to drop this auto-shutdown switch to avoid users getting
> into trouble.

Well if the user read the man-page and set the option themselves, they
should be aware of the issue.  That being said, I agree that adding a
timeout would be better than quitting immediately to handle the use
case you described above.