[Xquartz-dev] auto-quit (was Re: 2.4.0-beta2)

Sierk Bornemann sierkb at gmx.de
Mon Jun 15 01:21:30 PDT 2009

Hi Jeremy!

Am 12.06.2009 um 02:02 schrieb Jeremy Huddleston:

> Well if the user read the man-page and set the option themselves,
> they should be aware of the issue.  That being said, I agree that
> adding a timeout would be better than quitting immediately to handle
> the use case you described above.

I am the user whom Simone talks of. :-)

I have installed the latest XQuartz 2.4.0beta, and I have installed
the latest Gimp 2.6.6. I've had enabled this new switch "wm_auto_quit"
to test and play a little bit with it. Because I appreciate this
switch, too.:-)
I've tested it with Gimp, I've tested it with Inkscape.

Because Inkscape starts and works very well with this XQuartz
2.4.0beta (and "wm_auto_quit" true), but Gimp quits right after
finishing its splash screen, I sent an email with my log file esssence
to Simone, because my first thought of cause has NOT been XQuartz' X11
but Gimp. Why? Because Inkscape starts and works without any problem
(as well as X11 alone without any other X11 application started).
That's why I asked Simone, if the cause could've been Gimp itself.

Together with the help of Simone, I could reduce the cause to this
issue very quickly to this new "wm_auto_quit" switch and turned it off
again to its default value.
Gimp uses a splash screen which causes this trouble when quitting and
this new "wm_auto_quit" is enabled, so that the following main X11
window of Gimp hasn't any chance to come up.

With this new switch enabled, Gimp is unusable, because the start of
its main application window will be aborted too early (because auf the
splash screen).
So I very appreciate your proposal to add a reasonable chosen timeout
to this new "wm_auto_quit" switch, which hence doesn't let any X11
application with a splash screen (like Gimp) abort/quit too early.

Sierk
--
Sierk Bornemann
http://sierkbornemann.de/