[Xquartz-dev] 2.3.3_rc1

Jack Howarth howarth at bromo.med.uc.edu
Tue Mar 10 07:20:24 PDT 2009

Martin,
    Is there an enviromental in OpenGL that would force the Apple
Software Render to be used? The problem is that the vmd-xplor (ppc)
binary has issues with direct rendering under Intel Darwin. The
author hasn't updated the program yet and was using LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT
to avoid the bug on Intel Darwin. Oddly of the four machines I tested
only the problem one (a 2008 MacPro with HD2600) reported a hardware
render in vmd-xplor. The other three all reported the Apple Software
Render under 2.3.3-rc1 and worked fine. So if we can force the Apple
Software Render to be used via an environmental, it would be a decent
substitute for LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT for now.
                 Jack