[Xquartz-dev] Tiger: OpenGL problem with stereo visuals with AppleSGLX-55

Martin Otte otte at duke.edu
Thu Mar 26 11:16:37 PDT 2009

LIBGL_FORCE_SOFTWARE didn't seem to do anything, but grepping in the
source code it looks like there is a LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE which I
tried. Unfortunately, I get the same result on Tiger:

 > env LIBGL_DIAGNOSTIC=1 LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1
LIBGL_DUMP_VISUALID=1 glxgears -stereo
initializing libGL in apple_init_glx
DIAG: CGL major 1 minor 0
visualid 0x1b2
DIAG: Software rendering requested.  Using kCGLRendererGenericFloatID.
error: invalid pixel format
X Error of failed request:  GLXBadContext
   Major opcode of failed request:  0 ()
   Serial number of failed request:  22

glxinfo shows the information for visual id 1b2 as:

Visual ID: 1b2  depth=24  class=TrueColor
     bufferSize=32 level=0 renderType=rgba doubleBuffer=1 stereo=1
     rgba: redSize=8 greenSize=8 blueSize=8 alphaSize=8
     auxBuffers=0 depthSize=32 stencilSize=0
     accum: redSize=8 greenSize=8 blueSize=8 alphaSize=8
     multiSample=0  multiSampleBuffers=0
     visualCaveat=None

I don't need stereo visuals, but the software that I use checks if
stereo visuals are available and if so opens a stereo opengl context,
at which point it stops just like the glxgears -stereo example.

Thanks,
Martin