[Xquartz-dev] Sniffing X11 client/server traffic on Darwin?

Tom Lane tgl at sss.pgh.pa.us
Sun Nov 1 17:08:02 PST 2009

Jeremy Huddleston <jeremyhu at apple.com> writes:
> You can use xscope.  It's part of 2.4.1_alpha3 and can also be installed from MacPorts.

Hmm, I think I'm missing something basic about configuring xscope.
I installed 2.4.1_alpha3, started xquartz ok, and then do

$ xscope -i1 -d0

and then in another terminal window

$ DISPLAY=:1.0 xdpyinfo
Xlib: No protocol specified

xdpyinfo:  unable to open display ":1.0".

and xscope itself says

 0.00: Client -->   12 bytes
                  byte-order: LSB first
               major-version: 000b
               minor-version: 0000
 0.00:                                    32 bytes <-- X11 Server
                                                SetUp Failed:
                                               major-version: 000b
                                               minor-version: 0000
                                                      reason: "No protocol specified^J"