[Xquartz-dev] Xquartz-dev post from n8gray at n8gray.org requires approval

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Thu Oct 1 11:24:39 PDT 2009

On Oct 1, 2009, at 09:42, Nathan Gray wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 1:12 AM, Jeremy Huddleston
> <jeremyhu at apple.com> wrote:
>> subscribe to the list and resend.
>
> Oops, sent from the wrong account.  Should work this time.
>
>> You said you verified DISPLAY is being set correctly, but you
>> failed to
>> mention what it was being set to.
>
> Yes, it was set correctly and I didn't feel the need to copy/paste it.

Yes, well, could you please humor me and copy/paste it?  As mentioned
in the release notes, DISPLAY is now different in this version than it
was before.  It should look something like:
/tmp/launch-hzV273/org.macosforge.xquartz:0

>> Also, I mentioned in the release notes that this would cause the
>> system
>> X11.app to fail to function.
>
> Ok, but that wasn't the problem.  I wasn't trying to run the system
> X11.app at all.  I was trying to get XQuartz to launch in response to
> an X client.

Yes, that is not functioning properly in 2.4.1_alpha1 because of
CFBundleGetVersionNumber being so restrictive.  I nuked that check
since I doubt anyone will try using /usr/X11/bin/XQuartz from these
new releases with an old server.

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver/commit/?id=a2cd21177859eb45320a94c96dde7d9058ab7650

>> Running launchctl through sudo causes it to run as root.  You want
>> to manage
>> your launch agent, not the launch daemons, so you don't want to use
>> sudo.
>
> Yes, eventually I figured that out.  It would help if launchctl
> actually mentioned *why* unloading failed, and if "launchctl list"
> indicated some difference between daemons and agents.

launchctl list will list your LaunchAgents
sudo launchctl list will list the system's LaunchDaemons

Check out 'man launchctl'