[Xquartz-dev] Xquartz-dev post from n8gray at n8gray.org requires approval

Nathan Gray n8gray at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 14:32:11 PDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 11:24 AM, Jeremy Huddleston <jeremyhu at apple.com> wrote:

> On Oct 1, 2009, at 09:42, Nathan Gray wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 1:12 AM, Jeremy Huddleston <jeremyhu at apple.com>
>> wrote:
>>> You said you verified DISPLAY is being set correctly, but you failed to
>>> mention what it was being set to.
>>
>> Yes, it was set correctly and I didn't feel the need to copy/paste it.
>
> Yes, well, could you please humor me and copy/paste it?  As mentioned in the
> release notes, DISPLAY is now different in this version than it was before.
>  It should look something like:
> /tmp/launch-hzV273/org.macosforge.xquartz:0

Yes, I know that.  As I said, it was set correctly.  It's not set that
way anymore because I went back to the standard X11.app for now.

>>> Also, I mentioned in the release notes that this would cause the system
>>> X11.app to fail to function.
>>
>> Ok, but that wasn't the problem.  I wasn't trying to run the system
>> X11.app at all.  I was trying to get XQuartz to launch in response to
>> an X client.
>
> Yes, that is not functioning properly in 2.4.1_alpha1 because of
> CFBundleGetVersionNumber being so restrictive.  I nuked that check since I
> doubt anyone will try using /usr/X11/bin/XQuartz from these new releases
> with an old server.
>
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver/commit/?id=a2cd21177859eb45320a94c96dde7d9058ab7650

Ok, glad to hear it.

>>> Running launchctl through sudo causes it to run as root.  You want to
>>> manage
>>> your launch agent, not the launch daemons, so you don't want to use sudo.
>>
>> Yes, eventually I figured that out.  It would help if launchctl
>> actually mentioned *why* unloading failed, and if "launchctl list"
>> indicated some difference between daemons and agents.
>
> launchctl list will list your LaunchAgents
> sudo launchctl list will list the system's LaunchDaemons
>
> Check out 'man launchctl'

I have RTFM many, many times, and that is a complete surprise to me.
Sorry, that's definitely not in the man page:

     list [-x] [label]
              With no arguments, list all of the jobs loaded into launchd in
              three columns. ...

In fact, the entire man page makes no mention of *any* difference
between running as root and as a user, except obliquely as a mention
that LaunchAgent config files must be owned by the user loading them.
This behavior is very strange, very unexpected.  Looking back, it
probably explains why nearly every interaction I've had with launchctl
has ended in failure and frustration.  I'm sure I was using sudo, or
not using it, at the wrong moment.  Sorry, I know this is off topic
but I can't tell you how many times launchctl has spoiled my
afternoon.

So you can't even get a list of the running LaunchDaemons without
superuser access?  Is there some security reason for that?

Cheers,
-n8

--
http://n8gray.org