[Xquartz-dev] app_to_run not working in recent 1.4 server

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Fri Oct 2 11:03:59 PDT 2009

On Oct 2, 2009, at 08:53, Martin Otte wrote:

> I compiled the latest 1.4 servers on snow leopard since they contain
> some fixes over the apple installed server. The server starts fine
> by either double-clicking it or by executing an application that
> uses the X server.
>
> The only thing that doesn't work (in the apple48 and apple49
> servers) is that the app listed in the app_to_run no longer runs. I
> have app_to_run set as an xterm so that I have a terminal when the
> server starts. In bundle-main.c:
>
>    if(argc == 1 || (argc == 2 && !strncmp(argv[1], "-psn_", 5))) {
>        /* Now, try to open a display, if so, run the launcher */
>        display = XOpenDisplay(NULL);
>        if(display) {
>            /* Could open the display, start the launcher */
>            XCloseDisplay(display);
>
>            return execute(command_from_prefs("app_to_run",
> DEFAULT_CLIENT));
>        }
>    }
>
> The XOpenDisplay call is returning a null display,

If that's the case, then DISPLAY is not set to a value it expects.
What happens when you just execute (from Terminal)?

/Applications/Utilities/X11.app/Contents/MacOS/X11.bin

There should be output that mentions why it's not working.

Do you have 2.4.1_alpha1 installed on your system?  If so, that would
be why X11.app isn't using that path.  XQuartz.app owns DISPLAY when
both are installed.

> so the app_to_run is never run. Is this the only place where the
> app_to_run is executed from?

The behavior is to only execute app_to_run if you're starting X11.app
by double clicking and it owns the launchd socket...

> I don't know if this works with the latest 1.5 server because I
> haven't upgraded the necessary X11 protos to compile the server.

It's working here on 1.4 through master...

I'd recommend keeping /usr/X11 the way it's shipped from Apple unless
you want to get possibly clobbered.  That's why we're using /opt/X11
for the MacOSForge.org releases.