[Xquartz-dev] server versions status

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Tue Sep 29 00:27:03 PDT 2009

I just wanted to drop a line that this years XDC (X11 Developers
Conference) is going quite well.  Each of the past 3 conferences has
seen a good amount of drive in the tree that has benefitted us
greatly, and this year has been no different.

Today is actually a very special occasion.  For the first time,
XQuartz is buildable and runnable from the master branch of the
xserver git.  I've not done too much testing yet, but xterm and
glxgears works.

I've also solved the known 1.5->1.6 regressions, so 2.4.1_alpha2 will
likely move to the 1.6 server branch.  We may actually move to 2.5.0
based on 1.7 instead of shipping 2.4.1 depending on how things
progress.  This may mean shipping a 2.5.0_alpha then abandoning it
like we did with 2.4.0 before 2.3.3, but I hope 1.7.x doesn't prove as
difficult as 1.5.x was.

For those of you who haven't picked up on how the versioning numbers
work, I'm trying to keep the second digit of the bundle version the
same as the second digit of the upstream katamari release containing
the same server version:

X11R7.2 (the 1.2 and 1.3 server) -> bundle version 2.2.x
X11R7.3 (the 1.4 server) -> bundle version 2.3.x
X11R7.4 (the 1.5 and 1.6 servers) -> bundle version 2.4.x
X11R7.5 (the 1.7 server) -> bundle version 2.5.x

2.1.x falls out of this versioning scheme, however, as it is
essentially the "Official Leopard" version and contained 1.3.x and
1.4.x depending on the OS version.

Name: Screen shot 2009-09-29 at 00.13.01.png
Type: image/png