[Xquartz-dev] IDL Users, I need help please

Jamie Kennea jamie at pompey.org
Thu Sep 17 10:56:25 PDT 2009

On Sep 17, 2009, at 1:30 PM, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:

> How can I instruct the user to launch IDL via the command line?  Is
> there a simple way, or do I need to tell the user to launch /path/to/
> IDL.app/Contents/MacOS/IDL or something like that?

I always use IDL from the command line, and it works fine for me on
SL, although I'd note that the person is using a pretty old version
(6.2), which I'm not even sure is an Intel Mac version. I've got the
6.4 and 7.1 running on SL fine here.

My IDL binary is installed here:

/usr/local/rsi/idl/bin/idl or /usr/local/rsi/idl/bin/idlde (for the IDE)

But that's not the typical location I believe. ITT provide 2 versions
of IDL for Mac, a "unix" version which is just a tar file, and a "Mac"
version which installs into /Applications/rsi I think. I use the
former as I'm on old UNIX guy.

However I'd note that when I try to run the IDL 6.4 "apps" (which seem
to be PPC only Mach-O files, with a ".app" postfix on the file name, I
get an error on SL about them being for the Classic Environment and
longer supported. This is a bit of a surprise to me because I'm pretty
damn sure they worked on Leopard (which also had no Classic
environment). I have Rosetta installed BTW.

I have no idea if this relates the problem the bug poster refers to,
but I'd be surprised if even with the old 6.2 he can't use the command
line version of IDL which probably resides in /Applications/rsi/idl/
bin/idl.

Jamie