[Xquartz-dev] Window positions when adding/removing monitors on 2.6.0

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Sat Dec 11 13:28:00 PST 2010

On Dec 10, 2010, at 17:32, Tom Lane wrote:

> Both 2.6.0beta2 and rc1 seem to have a rather severe regression from
> 2.5.x in terms of what happens when the screen dimensions change.
>
> I go on a daily basis between using my MBP standalone and using it
> with an external monitor plugged in.  I arrange the external monitor
> to be "above" the internal screen so that I have a twice-as-high
> screen workspace (internal and external are both 1440x900).  In the
> past, when I attach the external monitor, X11 windows automatically
> move up onto the external screen, and when I remove it, whatever was
> on the external screen shifts back down to the internal.  In both
> cases, the windows are effectively keeping the same positions in the
> global coordinate space measured from upper left; you could argue
> whether that's the most useful definition, but it works well for me.

Right.  That's actually a bug.  They should stay in the same location like NSWindows do.

Really?  That's odd.  There was a window location validation bug intorduced in 2.5.0 (http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/ticket/372), but quartz-wm hasn't changed (enough to mention) between 2.5.3 and 2.6.0.

> I find that I have to sleep
> and re-wake the laptop another time to get them to show up at all, and
> when they do show up, they all get smashed to the internal screen's UL
> corner, rather than keeping their relative positions.
>
> This is really a pretty nasty usability degradation from 2.5.3.
> I was hoping for smarter management of screen size changes, not
> worse management.

Can you please isolate if this is an issue due to quartz-wm or the server.  Please try using the SL quartz-wm at /usr/bin/quartz-wm rather than the newer /opt/X11/bin/quartz-wm.

You mention that you see this in 2.6.0_beta2.  Was this in beta1? alpha2? alpha1?  Narrowing down where this bug came in will help find it.

Please open a ticket at http://xquartz.macosforge.org