[Xquartz-dev] XQuartz 2.6.0

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Sun Dec 19 21:24:29 PST 2010

Thanks so much to everyone who tested and help squash bugs during the development cycle.  2.6.0 is finally ready for release.  This release coincides with X11R7.6 and contains all the updated modules from that upstream katamari release.

To update, just choose 'Check for Updates' from the X11 menu in XQuartz.app.  The full change log can be found on the release notes page:

http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/wiki/X112.6.0

* the main highlight are the transition to libxcb as a backend for libX11
* freetype 2.4.4 to address some font rendering issues in 2.5.2
* pixman 0.20.0 should have some better fast paths with SSE2
* fontconfig 2.8.0
* cairo 1.10.0
* libX11 1.4.0
* xorg-server 1.9.3 which includes RandR and a ton of stability fixes

This release is very similar to 2.6.0_rc1.  Since 2.6.0_rc1, we've just included some documentation changes, a few minor changes in the server, and pulled in an updated libpng.

If you're a Leopard user, I'm sorry, but your update has been delayed (probably until January).  I lost my connection to my Leopard box while creating the package and won't have access to it for a couple weeks.  2.6.0_rc1 should serve you well until then.

Thanks,
Jeremy