[Xquartz-dev] XQuartz 2.6.0 (xorg-server 1.9.2.901) and X authority

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Sat Dec 25 12:22:34 PST 2010

On Dec 25, 2010, at 02:41, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 25.12.2010 um 10:29 schrieb Will Mortensen:
>
>> What are you talking about? You don't need to touch System Preferences to use X11/Xquartz with launchd.
>>
>> Actually, maybe you are talking about Spaces? Does that even work with the window manager you are using?
>
> I'm talking about both, because: How do you achieve that GNU Emacs, sunclock, gkrellm, FontForge, ... are launched at login time on space #4?

X11 doesn't integrate well with Spaces.  Doing it your way doesn't solve that problem.

> I want to have my set of preferred X clients on the desktop, in a particular space (because I am using less than in an X11 based UNIX environment, where I would put them on a handful of virtual screens). How would you arrange this, on Leopard, Mac OS X 10.5, PowerPC?

You can have X11.app launch at login and have the clients start by creating ~/.xinitrc.d/90-my-apps.sh (like the 99-wm.sh I suggested in the previous email).  Then open spaces and drag space 1 to space 4.

You might also be able to use Spaces preferences to have X11 windows launch in space 4, but that's not something I expect to "just work"... maybe it will, maybe it won't.