[Xquartz-dev] Fully self contained Xquartz.app?

doh123 doh123 at doh123.com
Thu Jul 15 07:26:17 PDT 2010

the normal Apple X11 isn't nearly as good.  Just using some from /usr/X11 might work ok, I'm far from an X11 expert.  As far as I know Crossover only uses libXplugin and quartz-wm from Apple's X11, everything else they have in their app.  Their app is portable, because hacked versions of their app made into wrappers can move around everywhere with no issues like i have with xkb, but I'm sure I can figure out a modification to xkb to stop that.

Wine hard compiles the location of X11 dylibs on the system... I want to use something much newer and better than Apple's X11, so for now I compile Wine where X11 is in a non-existant place on other peoples machines, and DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH is set on run to be the current location it should look for.  I've tried some modifications to use the @exectuable_path... stuff, but theres always been weird issues without having the fallback as well.  Looking close at how Crossover's worked, they are calling the fallback as well, which is how I first found out it existed.  Its difficult trying to make single builds all packaged up that will run on 10.4 - 10.6 correctly without anyone having to custom compile anything.