[Xquartz-dev] XRandR update

Eeri Kask Eeri.Kask at inf.tu-dresden.de
Tue Jul 20 05:00:45 PDT 2010

Am 07/19/2010 07:37 PM, Jeremy Huddleston <jeremyhu at apple.com> schrieb:
> 1) multi-monitor configs
> Right now, for multi monitor configurations, we just list the first two resolution options for the entire union display.  The ideal fix would be to update pseudoramiX to report multiple OS X displays as multiple X11 displays and have RandR controls for each display.  If I recall, the former is a larger problem than it seems at the onset, but the last time I looked was well over 2 years ago.
>
> For now, I think a good alternative would be having the display modes of the primary monitor listed.  We could then use only the primary monitor in those modes and ignore the secondary display.
>
> 2) resized windows in other applications
> If we have a maximized Mail.app running and we shrink our X11 using RandR, the height of Mail.app will be shrunk when we restore our default display setting using RandR.  I seem to recall an API to deal with this... something about "Game Mode" or "Grab/Lock/Own Display" or something along those lines.
>
> 3) cmd-alt-a
> The escape sequence to toggle fullscreen is usable when in one of our RandR chosen modes, but what it does is just toggle fullscreen.  In other words, doing it will show the OS X Desktop.  We should probably force mode '0' when doing that.  This is very important for dealing with situations where the requesting application has crashed and the user needs to restore to something usable.

Being curious, may I ask an Aqua beginners' question: is some
application authorised to change the resolution of the whole screen,
say iChat putting the screen from 2560x1600 into 320x240, how do
other applications respond if they are "activated"?

Currently it appears the user can change all screens resolutions
under System-settings/Monitors; which also affects X11 fullscreen
mode, resulting in a ConfigureNotify event delivered to the root
window reflecting the changed screen size (which then can be
investigated by XineramaQueryScreens() in detail).

Regarding introducing xrandr, wouldn't it be a good idea to
differentiate fullscreen-X and Aqua "resolutions" in that xrandr
resolution-setting only affects fullscreen-X mode?  (Which then
implies that System-settings/Monitors shouldn't affect resolutions
in fullscreen X too...)

(This differentiated resolutions case would make the above item (2)
obsolate, which was the initial purpose of this posting; or at least
appearing it to be a business to deal with by the X window manager
or something --- and not by some X server component/extension.)

Just asking, probably I am wrong,

    Eeri Kask