[Xquartz-dev] RandR thoughts

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Thu Jul 29 13:14:52 PDT 2010

On Jul 29, 2010, at 06:15, Eeri Kask wrote:

> Am 07/24/2010 04:00 PM, Jeremy Huddleston <jeremyhu at apple.com> schrieb:
>> 0 - Rootless: screens at their OS X resolution minus the menu bar
>> 1 - "Full Screen": screens at their OS X resolution including the menu bar
>> 2 - "Game Mode #1": native resolution of the screen
>> 3+ - "Game Mode #2+: Additional resolutions supported by the screens
>>
>> The current fullscreen / rootless choice in X11's preferences will correspond to the default / startup mode for X11.  If a client switches to mode 0 or 1, all screens will switch to that mode.  If a user switches to mode 2+, all other screens with switch to mode 2.
>
> Why touch other screens while going into "2+" mode?

I suppose that sentence was ambiguous.  I should clarify (and change some things to be correct with my recent changes).

refresh rate == 1 indicates this is a "fake" rootless mode
refresh rate == 2 indicates that this is the "fake" legacy fullscreen mode
any other refresh rate corresponds to a "real" resolution for "Game Mode"

switching to the "fake" rootless mode will switch all displays to rootless mode.
switching to the "fake" legacy fullscreen mode will switch all displays to legacy fullscreen mode.
switching to a "real" mode from either the rootless or fullscreen modes will result in other displays switching to the "Game Mode" corresponding to their default resolution.

> While being at it, a cool feature would be to have per-screen
> X-full-screen modes too.  :-)

Yes, there is an open ticket for that already.  One issue at a time ;)