[Xquartz-dev] Bugfixes for 2.5.1 rc1 Xorg 1.8.1 (Re:Bugfixes for 2.5.0_rc1)

Eeri Kask Eeri.Kask at inf.tu-dresden.de
Tue Jun 8 01:41:12 PDT 2010

Am 06/07/2010 07:38 PM, Jeremy Huddleston <jeremyhu at apple.com> schrieb:

>>> What behavior are you suggesting is "not yet identified" ?  The keyboard layout can be changed through OSX international settings, and X11 will update the keyboard layout when it detects that.
>>
>> The problem of Xquartz ignoring or destroying xmodmap settings
>> called in .xinitrc while executing this file on server startup.
>

> This is by design.  Put your xmodmap settings into ~/.Xmodmap

Sorry for the curiosity, what is the technical background to this
design?

The .Xmodmap suggestion is of course a solution if XQuartz had (and
honoured) a systemwide file e.g. /usr/X11/lib/X11/xinit/.Xmodmap
where to put XQuartz keyboard initialisations used for :0 because
~/.Xmodmap residing on NFS-server obviously has to work with all
other X11 platforms too attached to it remotely; therefore there
really is no room for XQuartz-specific stuff in ~/.Xmodmap.

>> The "About X11" says  "XQuartz 2.5.1_rc1 (xorg-server 1.8.1)"  and I
>> have to admit I don't find this setting in "Preferences" (under
>> Cmd-,) here under Leopard 10-5-8.  Probably I am looking in the
>> wrong place?
>
> It's just in the English localizations.  See the screenshot.  (You can turn it on in the English locale, then switch back and it will remain in effect)

Alternatively, is there any "defaults" command for that, or, how to
only change Alt_L by that method?  :-)

Greetings,

    Eeri Kask