[Xquartz-dev] Basic implementation of XRandR

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Sun Jun 13 22:26:01 PDT 2010

Yes, Jan.  A big thanks.  I've started looking through the patch set and I have a few questions.  I wanted to give it a test run first (which hopefully I'll be able to do tomorrow), but here's what I've been thinking...

The main issue is with the second patch... you have indicated reservations as well, and I think we will need to investigate this further.  The X11 screen and root windows do not actually include the menu bar unless we are in fullscreen, so I'm concerned that the second patch may cause problems since we'll not be reporting the correct resolution of the X11 screen.  Was the problem that the menu bar was incorrectly being subtracted when it was already not included?

I'm concerned about how the resolution changes will affect desktop icon layout.  A common use case would be a game switching to a lower resolution and we want to make sure that the user's desktop icons don't get rearranged on them when they return.  Codeweavers got around this by always switching to fullscreen mode when xrandr changed to a non-default resolution.

Perhaps we can do something "interesting" to tackle both of these issues.  We can include the resolution with the menu bar subtracted in the list of resolutions.  If XRandR chooses any resolution except that one, we can switch to quartz fullscreen mode (not the X11 cmd-alt-a fullscreen) in expectation of a game taking over like Codeweavers does.  Switching back to the normal resolution would then result in returning to normal mode.

Thoughts?