[Xquartz-dev] XQuartz 2.5.0_rc1

Brandon Allbery allbery at kf8nh.com
Wed Mar 17 14:40:28 PDT 2010

On Mar 17, 2010, at 17:15 , Bill Campbell wrote:
> The clusterssh program is a perl::Tk script which executes
> multiple xterms via ssh to the remote systems.  It is not a
> problem with the remote perl::Tk routing not getting screen size
> change info as I always shut that connection down before putting
> the Macbook Pro to sleep.  One thing I have not tried doing is
> opening a new xterm in the running X11, and executing the
> commands from it to see if it gets new size information on
> startup while an open xterm does not.
>
> I have to plead ignorance in how X11 handles display geometry in
> one screen, much less multiple monitors.

XQuartz doesn't even try currently; it would be nice if monitor
changes were passed on as XRandR extension events, but right now the X
session isn't informed of any changes and you need to restart XQuartz
to get it to see the change.

I keep wanting to find time to poke at XRandR support, but truth be
told I'm a bit too far behind on X11 internals at this point (my
experience is from early-mid 90s, and things have changed quite a lot
since then).

system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu