[Xquartz-dev] Window focus issues on non-quartz wm

Dave Ray apple at jonive.com
Tue Mar 16 19:11:16 PDT 2010

I've had a window focus issue for many months and it would help me to
know if anyone else is observing it. it's not clear if it's a bug or a
non-quartz window manager issue. Perhaps it is normal behavior and I'm
misinterpreting.

If I toggle between X11.app and other OS-X apps using command-tab,
When X11 comes to the front, all X11 windows come forward, in front of
any open non-X11 windows from other OS-X apps.

If I'm in another OS-X app and I activate X11 by clicking on one of
the X11 windows, X11 comes to the front, and the window I click on
accepts keyboard input, but all the X11 windows remain behind the non-
X11 windows. Perhaps that is normal for X11 windows that I didn't
click on. Definitely odd for the window I clicked on.

All the symptoms go away when I command-tab out of X11 and back in
again.

Environment is Enlightenment 16 window manager, with X11's Full-screen
mode off (not checked), Leopard 10.5.8, Macbook Pro

Everything else checks out great on the new release.

Symptom has existed for at least 2 years through several releases.
Jeremy had me file a bug a while ago just to document it. If nobody
sees this, that will help me to know my wm is just plain broken and
it's time to recompile.