[Xquartz-dev] XQuartz 2.5.0_rc1

Brandon Allbery allbery at kf8nh.com
Tue Mar 16 18:49:14 PDT 2010

On Mar 16, 2010, at 21:43 , Doug McNutt wrote:
> At 21:17 -0400 3/16/10, Brandon Allbery wrote:
>> I have my HDTV hooked up for occasional use as a second monitor,
>> positioned to the left of my iMac's internal screen
>
> I had a terrible time with multiple monitors. Much of the problem
> was the conversion from X11's all-positive screen coordinates into
> Apple's plus and minus relative to the top left of the startup screen.

Thing is, this works fine with older XQuartz versions.  The only
oddness I've seen (and I suspect it's unavoidable without tying the
OSX window/screen information to XRandR events) is that with the HDTV
connected windows that are positioned relative to the bottom of the
screen use the bottom of the HDTV instead of the iMac even though the
windows are placed on the iMac.

Positioning above is probably not going to work well, especially in
the absence of XRandR linking as described above.  Then again, it's
worth considering that multiple monitor support (unless you designate
them as logically separate screens, the historical method of managing
them) has always been a bit odd in X11.

system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu