[Xquartz-dev] Window focus issues on non-quartz wm

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Wed Mar 17 16:58:50 PDT 2010

On Mar 17, 2010, at 16:30, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 17.03.2010 um 15:00 schrieb Dave Ray:
>
>> If I'm in another OS-X app and I activate X11 by clicking on one of
>> the X11 windows, X11 comes to the front, and the window I click on
>> accepts keyboard input, but all the X11 windows remain behind the non-
>> X11 windows. Perhaps that is normal for X11 windows that I didn't
>> click on. Definitely odd for the window I clicked on.
>

> I have a similiar experience with Blackbox WM on Leopard, PPC, in one Space and with XQuartz 2.5.0 (xorg-server 1.7.99.901) from MacPorts as well. It happens that windows from Console, Terminal, or Emacs.app come into the front. Then I can click (select) an X11 client. It gains focus and input goes to it, but it stays obscured by an Aqua client. I have to click the X11 icon in dock to put all the X clients in the foreground or change to a another space and return. IMO clicking the X11 icon in dock or changing space must not be necessary.
>
> The new XQuartz 2.5.0_rc1 (xorg-server 1.7.5) shows the same behaviour. It also produces this message:
>
> 	/usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi: failed to write cache

Odd... can you please investigate this further.  What are the directory permissions there?  What are the file permissions for the cache files (ls -l /usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/fonts.*)  That file should be created by root when it runs 'font_cache -s' during startx.  Try running this manually:

sudo font_cache -f -s -v