[Xquartz-dev] XQuartz 2.5.0_rc1

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Wed Mar 17 20:53:16 PDT 2010

On Mar 17, 2010, at 19:31, Brandon Allbery wrote:

> On Mar 17, 2010, at 19:56 , Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
>> Uhm... are you kidding?  This support was added quite some time ago.  It was buggy for a while, but it has been working for quite some time.  This is the whole reason for the XP_EVENT_DISPLAY_CHANGED
>
> I specifically recall asking about this and getting an "I don't see the point" answer back from you.  Now I'm wondering what you thought I was talking about.

The "I don't see the point" is mainly for RandR.  There is a point for RandR, but it's not a big point.  We do support screen resizing outside of RandR.

>>> it would be nice if monitor changes were passed on as XRandR extension events, but right now the X session isn't informed of any changes and you need to restart XQuartz to get it to see the change.
>>
>> That's not completely true.  We don't support RandR, but clients are free to query the screen at any time.
>
> ...guess that answers *that* question.
>
> Modern X11 clients expect to receive XRandR events for this.  Otherwise you need to register interest in root window Reconfigure events, and (aside from that only being made available after XRandR was implemented, due to fear that changing root window sizes would confuse existing programs) that is only partially useful for the case of programs wanting to know the actual screen configuration (which I assume XQuartz isn't doing, but it's what people expect to work with; root window sizes are disrecommended on other platforms) so the vast majority of programs that care use XRandR.
>
> In short, programs that want to support OSX are apparently expected to use a mechanism that on other platforms one is told to use XRandR for.  This seems unfortunate at best.

Well, most applications that people care about on XQuartz don't really care about these events...

That being said, RandR support is on the horizon... but there are more pressing issues still...