[Xquartz-dev] XQuartz 2.5.0

Gene Van Buren gene at bnl.gov
Tue Mar 30 16:52:04 PDT 2010

Hi, Jeremy.

On Mar 30, 2010, at 7:24 PM, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:

> Can you please run this, and email me the output:
>
> DYLD_PRINT_LIBRARIES=1  /Applications/Utilities/X11.app/Contents/
> MacOS/X11.bin

Aha...starting X11.bin from the command line works, vs. letting OS X
start X11.bin (either by double clicking the app or running a program
like xv to trigger launchd to run X11.bin) which crashes. I found I
have another libfreetype under /usr/local/lib (which is comp. vers.
10.0.0)  and I'm guessing that launchd's environment sees that one
before the one under /usr/X11/lib.

Of course it's a bad idea to have two versions of the lib on one
machine. But I'm still confused why the crash logs specifically say
that the error is with the one under /usr/X11...

Dyld Error Message:
   Library not loaded: /usr/X11/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib
   Referenced from: /Applications/Utilities/X11.app/Contents/MacOS/
X11.bin
   Reason: Incompatible library version: X11.bin requires version
11.0.0 or later, but libfreetype.6.dylib provides
version 10.0.0

Thanks,
-Gene