[Xquartz-dev] XQuartz 2.5.0

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Tue Mar 30 17:43:21 PDT 2010

On Mar 30, 2010, at 16:52, Gene Van Buren wrote:

> Aha...starting X11.bin from the command line works, vs. letting OS X
> start X11.bin (either by double clicking the app or running a
> program like xv to trigger launchd to run X11.bin) which crashes. I
> found I have another libfreetype under /usr/local/lib (which is
> comp. vers. 10.0.0)  and I'm guessing that launchd's environment
> sees that one before the one under /usr/X11/lib.

No, that should not happen unless you have set DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH.  The
full path is hardcoded in the executable.  It will use /usr/X11/lib/
libfreetype.6.dylib unless you have DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH set to include /
usr/local/lib

> Of course it's a bad idea to have two versions of the lib on one
> machine. But I'm still confused why the crash logs specifically say
> that the error is with the one under /usr/X11...
>
> Dyld Error Message:
>  Library not loaded: /usr/X11/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib
>  Referenced from: /Applications/Utilities/X11.app/Contents/MacOS/
> X11.bin
>  Reason: Incompatible library version: X11.bin requires version
> 11.0.0 or later, but libfreetype.6.dylib provides
> version 10.0.0

That is consistent with DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH containing /usr/local/lib.
I would try to figure out where that is coming from...