[Xquartz-dev] Problems with XQuartz 2.6.0 (xorg-server 1.9.3)

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Tue Feb 1 10:43:30 PST 2011

Am 01.02.2011 um 18:30 schrieb Jeremy Huddleston:

>> I am clicking on the X11 icon in Dock. Is this by myself and
>> without launchd?
>
> Clicking on the X11 icon in Dock *will* get you your
> environment.plist settings.
>
> Launcing 'xterm' from Terminal.app *won't*.

I always do click on the X11 icon in Dock. Launching xterm from
Terminal or such in my opinion is insane behaviour (as long as no X
server is running). I'm healthy conservative.

Launching /Applications/MacPorts/X11.app/ as

	 open /Applications/MacPorts/X11.app/

in NS Emacs 24.0.50, the Cocoa variant of the X client, gives in
Console:

	01.02.11 19:05:36 org.macports.startx[54646] Notice PWD=/

This obviously is not correct.

>>> This is a really general question.  What about Tiger is back?
>>
>> In Tiger, X11 either did not inherit or did not pass (or did both)
>> the environment set by ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist.
>
> Huh... odd.

I wasn't alone with this. A few, to say the least, TeX users had the
same problem (needing for example Ghostscript or xpdf or xdvi, the
viewer for the old native TeX output, exhibiting some nice features
and being lightning fast), that I built a Platypus application to
install some files and change some more (to create a shell alias
command for example), that X11.app inherits some useful environment
variables and passes them to the clients.

>>> You probably want to put it in ~/.login (rather than ~/.profile)
>>> since you're using csh.
>>
>> Ah, that would explain the missing INFOPATH! (Well, missing since
>> last week. Before, last year for example, I was not missing this.)
>
> That may have been before we fixed X11 to use the login environment.

IMO this change did not fix things but introduce at least one bug: now
I don't have my login environment. I have it the X clients launched
from the same ~/.xinitrc.d/* scripts from /Applications/Utilities/
X11.app, I have it in Terminal or the AppKit, NS, or Carbon Emacsen,
native Aqua or Quartz or whatever clients or applications.

I do not have my login environment in the X clients launched from the
same ~/.xinitrc.d/* scripts from /Applications/MacPorts/X11.app –
since ten days or so. I even have no home directory. I get logged in
in /. In Terminal or the AppKit, NS, or Carbon Emacsen it's ~.

Putting some 'setenv XYZ `defaults read ~/.MacOSX/environment XYZ`'
into ~ /.login augments the shell environment. The defaults and tcsh
programmes seem to work well, no fixes needed.

--
Greetings

   Pete

There's no place like ~