[Xquartz-dev] XQuartz 2.6.0_rc1 (for Leopard and Snow Leopard)

Ken Thomases ken at codeweavers.com
Tue Jan 25 17:47:23 PST 2011

On Jan 24, 2011, at 12:32 PM, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:

> If we are to do something like this, I'd like to maintain consistency with what CodeWeavers does.  How have they addressed this problem with fullscreen games?  Do they have a key sequence to switch applications / hide / minimize while captured?  If so, we should adopt the same sequences.

We do not support those actions, currently.  We have an escape hatch if something leaves CrossOver stuck in full-screen mode (e.g. a game switches modes and then hangs or crashes).  That's Command-Option-R, the keyboard shortcut for our Window > Restore Display menu item.  It's one-way; it leaves full-screen mode (and CrossOver remains the active app).  There's no way to return to the full-screen mode that the game was using, unless the game itself re-sets the desired mode.

For us, since we focus on running Windows programs using Wine, I try to avoid most keyboard shortcuts that use Command as the only modifier.  We'd like to leave those available for issuing Alt-based menu shortcuts to the Windows program.  So, I'd avoid Command-H so a user can issue Alt-H to the Windows program, if necessary.  Combinations which use both Command and Option should be safe, since those avoid any analog that a Windows program might use.

Command-Tab is an exception to that guideline.  It would map to Alt-Tab which already has the same meaning on Windows as Command-Tab does on Mac OS X, so no Windows program would expect to receive it.  (We also make an exception for Command-Q, since it's an important escape hatch, too.)

Regards,
Ken