[Xquartz-dev] Problems with XQuartz 2.6.0 (xorg-server 1.9.3)

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Mon Jan 31 16:07:19 PST 2011

On Jan 31, 2011, at 13:08, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 31.01.2011 um 20:20 schrieb Jeremy Huddleston:
>
>>> I ran env in uxterm's in X11.app and in MacPorts' XQuartz. Clearly the latter does not read ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist or does not pass the so built environment to children processes. The uxterm has none of the environment settings set. It even has:
>>
>> It has nothing to do with XQuartz.app or X11.app reading or not reading environment.plist.  It has to do with your launchd (on Leopard) not reading environment.plist.
>

> Why did it work before, one week ago, to supply all X clients with a proper environment?

Probably because a week ago you weren't launching X11.app from launchd.  You probably launched it yourself.

> Why is the situation of Mac OS X 10.4, Tiger, back?

This is a really general question.  What about Tiger is back?

> How can I make launchd supply a reasonable environment to its "clients"?

You can't get it to use environment.plist.  You probably want to set stuff up in ~/.profile

> Or do I need to augment each of the ~/.xinitrc.d/* scripts with environment settings?

That would work too.

> How would XQuartz know to lookup X clients in /opt/local/bin when the MacPorts installer put the statement to augment PATH in my unused ~/.cshrc?

You probably want to put it in ~/.login (rather than ~/.profile) since you're using csh.