[Xquartz-dev] Several nagging problems in recent Xquartz versions…

SciFi sci-fi at hush.ai
Tue Jul 12 10:55:33 PDT 2011

Hi,

I'm having a few nagging problems with Xquartz, many versions of late,
including 2.6.3_rc2 (current as I type/send this note).

1.  Whenever I hot-plug a 2nd monitor into the mini-DVI port,
    all Xquartz windows instantly want to get shoved-over to
    that monitor.  I must move my mouse-pointer over to that
    monitor and drag-back all those windows to main screen
    (the one marked by the desktop bar in Display Prefs).
    I do not use, nor have anything configured for, Spaces
    and/or Exposé etc., and I've tried various Xquartz Prefs
    to no avail.  Display Prefs is configured as an
    additional separate 2nd-screen, no 'mirroring' involved.

2.  I did file a report on my semi-stuck 'h' key, but I am
    presently unable to find it to update more tests.
    In short, I have tried _several_ keyboards, of various
    kinds, even an Apple Wireless (old style), and one
    expressly designed for M$-Windows "multimedia" apps
    made by Micro-Innovations, model KB565BL.  I've even
    tried to adjust the Keyboard Prefs to slow-down
    repeated keys etc. to no avail.
    Nevertheless, I *will* eventually get a stuck-'h' key
    that self-repeats until I hit it a few more times.
    Remember that it is only the apps running under Xquartz
    (including even xterm) that is doing this, none of
    the regular OSX apps have this problem.  So this does
    not indicate a hardware problem to me -- it indicates
    we have a very weird software interplay causing it,
    and I'm totally unsure where to ask for more help
    other than this list and/or bug-reports.  To wit,
    this *does* drive me crazy at times, because 'h' is
    a letter that is very-often used, esp'ly for
    displaying Headers under Pan (a very famous
    gtk+/glib newsreader app).

3.  The massive update included in the 2.6.1 version of
    Xquartz, and continuing now with 2.6.3_rc2, has caused
    marked visual problems with various text.
    I've written up a report, and attached a PNG to show
    a few of the problems, here:
    <https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/pan-users/2011-05/msg00019.html>
    I was hoping to get some indication on what-all I
    should update in the glib/gtk+ train of requisites.
    No one has helped there, so I now bring this problem to
    this list where the X11 gizmos were bothered-with in
    the first place.  ;)  FWIW I do not see this problem
    in the xterm window, it seems to be only in the
    glib/gtk+ apps.  And yes 2.6.0-and-before I believe
    do not cause this problem.  (More is explained in the
    linked-to report.)

4.  I did open a newish bug-report to cover a simple fix
    when GNU 'mktemp' ends-up being used rather than the
    BSD 'mktemp'.  This is bug #490 in the Xquartz tracker.

5.  Please do not ask me to use a pkg-mgr like Fink or
    Macports etc.  If any src-tarball won't work right
    "out of the box", then we need to study & fix things in
    the usual *ix manners, rather than covering-it-up.  ;)

6.  Personally, I am medically disabled / retired with
    38+years work on record.  My professional life was
    mainly in a big IBM mainframe shop doing systems-level
    work (not the app-level programming).  I do open-src
    projects now as a hobby to keep my brain sharp.  ;)

All this is on a model iMac6,1 C2D machine with 4GB RAM (maxed-out),
running 10.6.8 and all official updates so far.  I have no kind of
~/.x* contraptions at all, so nothing should be bothering the
Xquartz defaults etc.

I try to keep watch on tons of projects via Gmane, a
main reason I use Pan (where we're testing several new
enhancements to it), and will attempt to follow any
help with these problems.

Thank you for reading.