[Xquartz-dev] Several nagging problems in recent Xquartz versions…

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Tue Jul 12 13:46:52 PDT 2011

On Jul 12, 2011, at 10:55 AM, SciFi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm having a few nagging problems with Xquartz, many versions of late,
> including 2.6.3_rc2 (current as I type/send this note).
>
> 1.  Whenever I hot-plug a 2nd monitor into the mini-DVI port,
>    all Xquartz windows instantly want to get shoved-over to
>    that monitor.  I must move my mouse-pointer over to that
>    monitor and drag-back all those windows to main screen
>    (the one marked by the desktop bar in Display Prefs).
>    I do not use, nor have anything configured for, Spaces
>    and/or Exposé etc., and I've tried various Xquartz Prefs
>    to no avail.  Display Prefs is configured as an
>    additional separate 2nd-screen, no 'mirroring' involved.

This has been an issue with every version of XQuartz that ever supported monitor hotplugging.  The windows don't move within the X11 screen, but the X11 screen now has a new offset (thus moving the windows).

The fix will be to move every window by the negative of the change in the offset.

> 2.  I did file a report on my semi-stuck 'h' key, but I am
>    presently unable to find it to update more tests.
>    In short, I have tried _several_ keyboards, of various
>    kinds, even an Apple Wireless (old style), and one
>    expressly designed for M$-Windows "multimedia" apps
>    made by Micro-Innovations, model KB565BL.  I've even
>    tried to adjust the Keyboard Prefs to slow-down
>    repeated keys etc. to no avail.
>    Nevertheless, I *will* eventually get a stuck-'h' key
>    that self-repeats until I hit it a few more times.
>    Remember that it is only the apps running under Xquartz
>    (including even xterm) that is doing this, none of
>    the regular OSX apps have this problem.  So this does
>    not indicate a hardware problem to me -- it indicates
>    we have a very weird software interplay causing it,
>    and I'm totally unsure where to ask for more help
>    other than this list and/or bug-reports.  To wit,
>    this *does* drive me crazy at times, because 'h' is
>    a letter that is very-often used, esp'ly for
>    displaying Headers under Pan (a very famous
>    gtk+/glib newsreader app).

Unfortunately, you're the only one to report this issue.  xorg-server-1.11 (which will be in 2.7.0) has improved debug logging support quite a bit, so I'll get something in place that you can use to debug this with an early 2.7.0 alpha.  Please file a ticket for it on xquartz.macosforge.org

> 3.  The massive update included in the 2.6.1 version of
>    Xquartz, and continuing now with 2.6.3_rc2, has caused
>    marked visual problems with various text.

"massive" ? 2.6.1 wasn't that big of an update, and the server stayed on the same server-1.9-branch as 2.6.0.

>    I've written up a report, and attached a PNG to show
>    a few of the problems, here:
>    <https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/pan-users/2011-05/msg00019.html>
>    I was hoping to get some indication on what-all I
>    should update in the glib/gtk+ train of requisites.
>    No one has helped there, so I now bring this problem to
>    this list where the X11 gizmos were bothered-with in
>    the first place.  ;)  FWIW I do not see this problem
>    in the xterm window, it seems to be only in the
>    glib/gtk+ apps.  And yes 2.6.0-and-before I believe
>    do not cause this problem.  (More is explained in the
>    linked-to report.)

Can you try the 2.6.1 RCs to find out exactly when this first occurred?  Can you try installing the 2.6.0 X11.bin on top of 2.6.3_rc2 to see if it's a server issue or client issue?  If it's a client issue, then my hunch would be changes in libpng or cairo as those changed in 2.6.1 as well.  If it's a server issue (the 2.6.0 X11.bin "fixed" the problem), then it would help me to know the version that introduced this issue (or even an exact commit since you seem savvy building from source and might be handy with git-bisect).

> 4.  I did open a newish bug-report to cover a simple fix
>    when GNU 'mktemp' ends-up being used rather than the
>    BSD 'mktemp'.  This is bug #490 in the Xquartz tracker.

That was fixed in April(?) in xinit, and it will land in 2.7.0.  See my comment in that bug report.

Thanks for the reports,
Jeremy