[Xquartz-dev] XQuartz 2.6.1_rc1

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sat Mar 19 13:52:25 PDT 2011

Am 19.03.2011 um 18:41 schrieb Jeremy Huddleston:

>> As before the fonts in text panes or widgets in GNU Emacs become
>> unreadable in the end. This means: GNU Emacs 23.3 (stable) and GNU
>> Emacs 24.0.50 (unstable) start in some default mode. Then they
>> reset themselves to using whatever X resources or settings in the
>> init files dictates. This means: In the beginning all text is
>> readable, after the reset it's not readable.
>
> So the first launch is ok, but not subsequent ones?

No, that's not what I tried to describe. It's more that GNU Emacsen
23.x and 24.0.50 have two stages of starting up. In the first stage
all is OK except a bit too big. In the second stage, the final und
useful stage, the fonts become illegible.

>> It makes no difference whether I use GNU Emacs 24.0.50 compiled
>> with X libraries from MacPorts or with some (more) up-to-date
>> libraries from Fink,
>
> ... ? Fink doesn't include X libraries in their distribution...  I'm
> guessing you mean XQuartz X libraries and fink additional libraries.

No, I mean libXft, libotf, libthai, libdatrie, libm17n,
libfontconfig, ... – I should have better written of X accompanying
libraries!

>> The good news: blackbox 0.71 accepts, i.e. does not crash, when
>> LC_CTYPE and/or LANG are set to some UTF-8 value:
>
> Well, I'm glad blackbox got a bugfix, you should mention this in
> your MacPorts ticket.

There is *no* bugfix, just a different behaviour.

As I described: The MacPorts X server sets / as $HOME and blackbox
crashes when LC_CTYPE or LANG have a value with UTF-8, the /usr/X11 or
XQuartz server works correctly, follows ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist
and keeps blackbox from crashing any time.

> What was the last version of XQuartz that worked for you?

One that worked on Tiger! I'm not sure whether any package for Leopard
worked correctly...

>  Let's try installing the server version from that release to see if
> the problem goes away.  If it does, then we know it's a server
> issue... if not, then it's a client issue...

I have:

	X11-2.3.0.pkg
	X11-2.4.0.dmg
	X11-2.5.0.dmg
	X11-2.5.1.dmg
	X11-2.5.3.dmg
	X11-2.6.0.dmg

X11-2.6.1.dmg is downloading... My final try, presumingly, will be
package from Mac OS X install DVD.

--
Greetings

   Pete

There's something the technicians need to learn from the artists. If
it isn't aesthetically pleasing, it's probably wrong.