[Xquartz-dev] XQuartz 2.6.1_rc1

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Sat Mar 19 14:19:21 PDT 2011

On Mar 19, 2011, at 13:52, Peter Dyballa wrote:

>>> The good news: blackbox 0.71 accepts, i.e. does not crash, when LC_CTYPE and/or LANG are set to some UTF-8 value:
>>
>> Well, I'm glad blackbox got a bugfix, you should mention this in your MacPorts ticket.
>
> There is *no* bugfix, just a different behaviour.
>
> As I described: The MacPorts X server sets / as $HOME and blackbox crashes when LC_CTYPE or LANG have a value with UTF-8, the /usr/X11 or XQuartz server works correctly, follows ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist and keeps blackbox from crashing any time.

The MacPorts X server does not set anything as $HOME.  The startup models of both XQuartz and MacPorts' X11.app are identical.  Chances are you're seeing different behavior because one is going down the launchd path, and the other is not.

>> What was the last version of XQuartz that worked for you?
>
> One that worked on Tiger! I'm not sure whether any package for Leopard worked correctly...

Ok... well then that is a bit of an ancient bug, and something way too old to compare.

>> Let's try installing the server version from that release to see if the problem goes away.  If it does, then we know it's a server issue... if not, then it's a client issue...
>
> I have:
>
> 	X11-2.3.0.pkg
> 	X11-2.4.0.dmg
> 	X11-2.5.0.dmg
> 	X11-2.5.1.dmg
> 	X11-2.5.3.dmg
> 	X11-2.6.0.dmg
>
> X11-2.6.1.dmg is downloading... My final try, presumingly, will be package from Mac OS X install DVD.

X11User.pkg from your install DVD will be much older, but checking that will certainly be useful for regression testing.

You can always install the Tiger version of X11 on Leopard from:
http://static.macosforge.org/xquartz/downloads/Leopard/X11_Legacy-1.1.4.1.pkg

I believe you will run into some issues with quartz-wm, so I suggest you get the latest quartz-wm by:

1) Install X11-2.6.1
2) Save quartz-wm and libXplugin:
   sudo cp /usr/lib/libXplugin.1.dylib /usr/lib/libXplugin.1.dylib-2.6.1
   sudo cp /usr/bin/quartz-wm /usr/bin/quartz-wm-2.6.1
3) Remove it manually:
   rm -rf /usr/X11R6 /Applications/Utilities/X11.app /System/Library/Launch*/org.x.*
4) Install 11_Legacy-1.1.4.1

Note that I had you leave /usr/X11 in place, so your fink binaries will resolve to the newer libraries.  If you want to rebuild all your fink binaries against the older X11, remove /usr/X11 as well.

It has a slew of security holes since it was built before many Tiger SecUpdates that fixed them, but I guess you don't care about that too much.

Good luck,
Jeremy