[Xquartz-dev] env variables and launchd problem

Dave Ray apple at jonive.com
Tue Mar 22 12:07:06 PDT 2011

John B. Brown wrote:
> How does MacPorts install with it's path corrections if you have no .profile or
> .bash_profile? What you set in your $HOME is what sets your actually running
> environment. Why would you not use your own environment setup instead of some
> one size fits all Apple offering?

I am not using MacPorts or Fink. I have never needed to.
My apps are installed in /usr/local and I have never noticed a problem.
If MacPorts or Fink are making "corrections" to fix this problem, I want to learn how to replicate those fixes in a non-MacPorts environment, and document it.
I am not attached in any way to the Apple /etc/profile. I just never knew there was an problem with it (and still not convinced there is.)
MacPorts and Fink are not required to use XQuartz.
I am trying to keep changes to the bare minimum needed.

David